Monday, June 20, 2016

Professional Hopes and Goals

One hope that you have when you think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds (any format and any length)

My hope for working with children from a diverse background is that they feel accepted and whole. I have heard so many professionals and read articles that state or say that we are not leaving children whole. As a professional I do not want to take a child's home culture from them. My hope for the environment for children is that they can walk into a classroom and feel comfortable and at home. My hope is that home culture is not taken away from children but rather accepted and a part of their lives. I hope that families will be accepted and involved in their children's education and care. My hope is that educators are open and willing to understand the new ideas and tools. My hope is that young children can help make a difference in the world when it comes to diversity.


One goal you would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice (any format and any length)

My goal is to help educate more teachers and community about inclusion and accommodations. I want all educators and families to understand what these terms are and what the purpose. I am around too many individuals that do not understand what they are. Inclusion is not just about disabilities it is about allowing all our individual characteristics not stop a child from being accepted. When a child learns different or has another language it does not mean that are not smart. They need a classroom setup to help them succeed.

A brief note of thanks to your colleagues

I would like to thank all my colleagues for the information and knowledge that have provided me. I would like to wish everyone good luck in their courses and in their careers. I look forward to more interactions with colleagues I see in my next class. Thank you for the experience.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Charissa,
    Thanks so much for all of the support and feedback you gave me during this class. I really wish you can accomplish your goal on educating others about inclusion and accommodations. I think it would be a great help to diminish prejudices in the classroom.
    My best wishes for you in your professional journey,
    Alejandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charissa,

    I really appreciate the open and honest dialogue we've had throughout this course. We may not have always agreed, but I appreciate being able to discuss our different perspectives in a respectful and professional way. Good luck in your next course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hopes are great and I hope they do come true. If educators take the time to be open about change than children would be able to accept difference in cultures better. Continue to stay encouraged on your journey and I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charissa,
    Thanks for sharing! Congratulations on completing another course. Best of luck as you continue! -Liz Plaskon

    ReplyDelete