Monday, June 13, 2016

Welcoming Families From Around the World

The country that I have chosen is Denmark.

Culturally responsive
1. First I would find out what part of Denmark they are from. This will help me to do research on the culture that is in the area.

2. I will see if there is anyone that I know on social media that is from Denmark or has visited the area they are from. I will also go to the library and find some books.

3. I will get items that relate to their home culture and have them in the classroom.

4. I will find books to read to the other children about Denmark so they are informed about the country.

5. I will see what types of activities the family likes and see if I can incorporate it into our curriculum.

By preparing not only myself and the students it might make the transition easy for all individuals. I know the children are going to be curious about the new child so by giving them information ahead of time can help. I know that I might have to have an interpreter but many of countries already teach English early. I am hoping that by learning about the country before hand it will help me open the lines of communication for the children. I believe that it will help me start a open line of communication with the parents. I would also like to invite the parents to the classroom to talk to the children. The more that we can make them feel welcome and be interested in them it will help. I believe that what I need to do is look at them as individuals and not objects. I need to be interested because I want to get to know who they are. I want help their child transition and help them feel good about entrusting me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Charissa,

    I like your idea about finding out if anyone you know has ever lived in or visited Denmark. In the social media driven world that we live in, we have a remarkable number of networking opportunities, and chances are high that we know someone from another country. This would provide great first-hand knowledge of another culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charissa,
    We had a lot of the same ideas. I really like your idea about sharing children's literature about the new child's culture prior to him/her beginning. Thanks for sharing-Liz Plaskon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charissa,
    Great ideas! I also decided to put pictures up of the family's culture in the classroom. I think it is so important for the child to get a reminder of home and be able to tell the other children about his culture.

    ReplyDelete