Sunday, June 26, 2016

Demonstrates Competent Communication

This year I heard a motivational speaker and I found him to be very interesting. He was very funny and when he told a story it was like you were there. I watched him keep children from 6 to 13 engaged in the stories. He described the scenes and people in the stories so vividly. He walked around the stage and interacted with the audience. The children were so excited and they tell stories he has shared many times. They were life lessons and very interesting. They made you think about how you could be a better person. He turned normal everyday individuals into super heroes. After I heard his stories I understand how to keep children engaged even with a boring story. When I ask my children if they want to hear a story now they always say yes. I like to model my communication style after his because I want children to stay engaged and have fun doing it.

3 comments:

  1. Charissa,
    I bet it was interesting to see the motivational speaker tell his story. I am still learning to be an engaging story teller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Thanks for sharing your story. I was also in awe of a speaker who was able to keep the children actively engaged without any bells or whistles. She was an amazing story teller as well and the children were captivated for almost an hour. I didn't think it was possible but she did it. It can be done!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can truly understand where you’re coming from, in my infant classroom I think story time and exercise times are their favorite. For every story I tell my students I normally use voice change and if the story has a loud sound I would bang on the furniture this would often make them scream. Most of the time they would say teacher you know you scare me or I taught the wolf was coming. But it always keep them engage and excite about every peek they would here. During feel play they would even model what their seeing in the picture. This is how I know communication is taking place and they are learning.

    ReplyDelete