Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Communicating differently

Strategies that I have gained from this week have just helped me reinforce what I already do. When I am communication with someone I try to see the as a person who is important and needs my full attention. Their cultural background does not influence my judge meant. When it comes to working with families and children it is very important to me to understand. So, many times children are misunderstood by adults because they do not listen. This is why it is important to me to see all sides of the conversation. I am their to help and not hinder a child's learning and development. Examining the actions and the child's cultural background is what I have learning from the resources. I must observer the whole context of a situation. When I was in junior high we had a foster child come live with us. she was of Hispanic culture. She had been through several homes before ours. When she arrived she expected us to be prejudiced against her. She found out quickly we did not care and we were there to help her. Before she left our home she told my mom that she realized that she was prejudiced because she always expected white people to treat her a certain way. Our family opened her eyes to the fact that you need to see a person or family with open eyes.

3 comments:

  1. Charissa,
    I could not agree with you more about listening to children when they communicate. It is also true that communication is a two-way endeavor and it takes both parties to be equally involved, as you mentioned by your example.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Charissa,
    I really agree with you and how you took ways to allow you to reinforce you ideas about communication I like how you and your families took the ways to help the girl she her eyes from two different perceptions.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hello Charissa,

    Thank you so much for sharing your understanding on cultural backgrounds and how to observe. Yes I totally agree with the observing action because we sometimes look at one part and determine what the whole is. Excellent wisdom to expound on for students growing up in this society. The world is getting to a place of racists nationwide and it's distracting the other issues we need to deal with.

    ReplyDelete